SAI Global, through its Americas subsidiary, QMI – SAI Global, was the first registrar to achieve North American accreditation for ISO 14001, which forms the basis of the e-Stewards™ Standard, and remains a leader in providing customized service. SAI Global has registered organizations from a wide variety of sectors, including electronics recycling, recycling and waste management, energy, resources, manufacturing, transportation, food, services and more.
The e-Stewards® Standard
The e-Stewards® Standard for Responsible Recycling and Reuse of Electronic Equipment
was established by the Basel Action Network (BAN) in partnership with leaders in the recycling industry. Its purpose is to provide appropriately rigorous, yet practical operational criteria for globally responsible recycling and refurbishing of electronic equipment. The standard builds on ISO 14001-2004© as a platform, and also integrates:
- Occupational health and safety
- Social accountability
- Media sanitization
- Export and disposal restrictions
- Chain of custody accountability
- Reporting criteria
The result is a comprehensive standard addressing the specific concerns of the e-waste recycling and refurbishment industries.
Why is this standard necessary?
The social and environmental impacts that result from this waste stream are significant.
Toxic waste stream
- This complex waste stream contains many toxins, such as lead, mercury, cadmium, and brominated flame retardants.
Impact on developing countries
- Export of this waste to developing countries is a common practice, and causes significant harm.
Data security concerns
- Data in the memory devices of electronic equipment is sensitive. It is essential that electronics recycling ensures that data security and privacy requirements are managed responsibly.
Why is the certification program important?
The certification program is important because it provides a mechanism for:
Who can become an e-Stewards®
- Reducing the export of e-waste
- Enabling consumers to choose globally responsible e-Stewards®
- Protecting data security and privacy
- Providing e-Stewards® with a system for assuring customers that they are operating in an environmentally and socially responsible manner
- Providing e-Stewards® Enterprises with a system for assuring customers that their supply chains are functioning in an environmentally and socially responsible manner
The e-Stewards® Standard has been designed to serve recyclers, re-furbishers, asset managers, processors, refiners, and re-deployment companies. e-Stewards® certification is not available to companies who only collect, broker, or transport electronic waste.
Who can become an e-Stewards® enterprise?
Corporations, universities and school districts, local and state governments, and other large organizations can become an e-Stewards® Enterprise if they commit to making best efforts to always use e-Stewards® recyclers and report annually on e-recycling activities.
The accredited certification program has been developed with leaders in the recycling and asset recovery industry, environmental and health and safety professionals, and the accredited certification industry.
ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB) provides oversight of the independent e-Stewards® Certification Bodies (CBs), who in turn assure a recycler’s conformity to the Standard.
CBs must continually demonstrate to ANAB that they operate in accordance to the following requirements of:
Who can certify an e-Stewards® system?
- The e-Stewards® Standard, Appendix B
- ISO 17021© Conformity assessment –Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management system
Only recognized certification bodies can provide e-Stewards® certification. The use of the e-Stewards® name and logo is controlled by a licensing agreement owned by BAN and will only be granted to entities that are e-Stewards® certified. No unaccredited certifications or claims of system conformity are permitted. All e-Stewards® will be certified to ISO 14001 and industry specific requirements. Certification to the program requires an annual independent audit.
e-Stewards® Training Courses – Click on the course title to view full course details and class schedule. In-house training is also available.
REQUEST A QUOTE for e-Stewards® Registration
Additional questions about the standard may be directed to John Fraser at (800) 465-3717.
[ BACK TO TOP